India’s largest luxury carmaker Mercedes-Benz today launched the ‘Made in India’ GLC Coupé in two variants, the 300d 4MATIC diesel and GLC 300 4MATIC petrol. With the roll-out of the GLC Coupe, Mercedes-Benz India has now added the 10th global product in its local production portfolio in India.
The GLC Coupe combines outstanding on and off-road driving characteristics with spaciousness, practicality, innovative technologies and intelligent driving assistance systems. GLC Coupé is a paragon of sportiness, safety and efficiency. The interior of the GLC derives its fascination from the contrast between the luxurious and elegant design and the digital high-tech of our MBUX system.
Martin Schwenk, Managing Director and CEO, Mercedes-Benz India and Piyush Arora, Executive Director, Operations, Mercedes-Benz India rolled-out the GLC Coupe from the assembly line in Chakan, Pune. The SUV Coupé had its market launch at Sundaram Motors, Mercedes-Benz’s state-of-art dealership in Bangalore. The GLC Coupé will be available across all Mercedes-Benz dealerships in India.
Speaking about the launch, Martin Schwenk, Managing Director & CEO, Mercedes-Benz India commented,
With the GLC Coupe, we are excited to add yet another stylish lifestyle and dynamic SUV in our portfolio and continue the unmatched product offering in the luxury SUV segment. The GLC Coupe now locally produced in its series version, will further enhance the popularity of the SUV Coupe. The GLC Coupe is distinguished by its technological prowess thanks to the most intuitive and engaging MBUX which is capable of ‘Over the Air’ updates via Mercedes me connect services. The SUV features the intelligent virtual in car assistant popularly known as ‘Hey Mercedes’ and comes with a NTG 6.0 with class leading 24X7 connected features and services from Mercedes Me Connect.”
Commenting on the rollout of the GLC Coupe in India, Piyush Arora, Executive Director, Operations, Mercedes-Benz India commented,
Mercedes-Benz India’s manufacturing facility has remained the backbone of our growth story in India and we are extremely satisfied with our localization strategy, which is pivotal to our long-term success in this dynamic market. The adding of the 10th product reiterates the highest level of refinement and implementation of advanced technology and flexible processes that ensure our production quality conforms to the most stringent global standards, and we create novel benchmark in manufacturing for the luxury car industry in India. Going forward we will strive to introduce more locally value added vehicles depending on future market dynamics and growth.”
Local Production of the GLC 4MATIC Coupe:
The GLC production involves the use of latest technology in Mercedes-Benz India’s world-class production facility. In terms of technical processes, Mercedes-Benz uses advanced body building techniques for joining and welding multiple body weight reducing alloys.
The high level of refinement and implementation of advanced technology and flexible processes ensures our production quality conforms to the most stringent global standards, and creates new benchmark in manufacturing for the luxury car industry in India. This manufacturing facility is also unique in terms of its high flexibility as it manufactures Sedans and SUVs all under one facility.
With the advent of new technologies and digitization in the automobile industry in India, Mercedes-Benz has already been pioneering digitization in vehicle manufacturing and is well poised to become future ready by rapidly adapting such future trends. Industry 4.0 elements play an important role in making of high-tech cars like the GLC Coupe. Our plant is equipped with Virtual Reality technology and other state-of-the-art digital manufacturing technologies with maximum flexibility, state of the art digital technology and passionate people.
With regards to Industry 4.0, digitalization at the shop floor enables Mercedes-Benz to have an end-to-end visibility of production processes and monitoring of information at real time. All these processes and systems put together along with the proper implementation of lean concepts, helps us to strike the right balance between efficiency, quality and flexibility all of which centres around customer focus & satisfaction.
Technical specifications of the new Mercedes-Benz GLC 300d 4MATIC and GLC 300 4MATIC Coupé – 300 4MATIC Coupé –
|Performance Data||GLC 300d 4MATIC Coupé||GLC 300 4MATICCoupé|
|Engine arrangement/cylinders||BS VI In-Line 4 Cylinder||BS VI In-Line 4 Cylinder|
|Power (kW [hp] @ rpm)||180 ||190 |
|Torque (Nm @ rpm)||500||370|
|Acceleration (0-100 km/h)||6.6s||6.3s|
|Fuel Consumption (km/l)||16.347||12.748|
- The ‘Made in India’ GLC Coupé is launched in two variants: 300d 4MATIC diesel and 300 4MATIC petrol
- Mercedes-Benz offers the largest SUV portfolio in the luxury car segment with 8 SUVs
- Local production of the GLC Coupé is expected to cater to an increasing demand for the SUV Coupe
- The new GLC Coupé is equipped with Mercedes me connect that offers multiple convenient connect features like remote Lock/ Unlock, Car locator, Speed Monitor, emergency e-Call, etc. accessible from the customer’s smart phone/tablet
- It comes with the swanky new generation telematics, Mercedes-Benz User Experience (NTG 6.0) | Capable with ‘Over the Air’ updates
- MBUX: The most intuitive in car virtual assistant and infotainment system based on AI and ML in the luxury car segment takes the always on experience to a whole new level
- Outstanding Performance: GLC 300 d Coupé has a BS 6 In-Line 4 cylinder diesel engine that churns out 245 hp power and 500 Nm of peak torque| 0 – 100 km/h in 6.6 seconds
- GLC 300 Coupé has a BS 6 In-Line petrol engine that produces 258 hp and 370 Nm of torque | 0 – 100km/h in 6.3 seconds
- Both engines are motorized by the sublime 9G-TRONIC transmission
- STAR EASE service packages for the new GLC 300d 4MATIC starts @ INR 77000 for 2 years/unlimited kms and INR 67300 for the GLC 300 4MATIC for 2 years/unlimited kms
- The new Mercedes-Benz GLC 300 4MATIC is priced at INR 62.70 lakh, and the GLC 300d 4MATIC is priced at INR 63.70 lakh (all prices are ex-showroom, India (except Kerala)
You can add more to this story by commenting below.