India Yamaha Motor (IYM) Pvt Ltd. as a part of its enthralling brand campaign “The Call of the Blue”, launches the fourth iteration of its flagship 155cc supersport motorcycle, the YZF-R15 Version 4. The model range gets even more desirable with the introduction of the YZF-R15M. The 2021 range of YZF-R15 gets a host of segment first features and will be available across all company dealerships in India by end of September, with prices starting at Rs. 167,800 (Ex-Showroom, Delhi). The R15 V4 comes in 3 colours Racing Blue, Dark Knight, and Metallic Red. The R15M will be available in Metallic Grey colour, additionally the R15M Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP Edition has also been launched with MotoGP branding on the fairing, fuel tank, front mud guard and rear side panels, outlining Yamaha’s strong Racing DNA.
Unlike the forward-slanted design lines seen on other supersport models, the 2021 YZF-R15 range adopts predominantly horizontal design lines like the YZF-R1, inheriting the DNA of Yamaha’s R-Series. As a result, the model looks sporty, while conveying a visual sense of stability in motion. To give it an imposing aura, the new YZF-R15 uses a single bi?functional Class-D LED headlight that also emphasizes the presence of the M-shaped intake duct.
Taking sporty handling to the next level, the new YZF-R15 employs an upside down front fork with 37mm inner tubes, wherein the lower end (unsprung) is light, and the upper end (sprung) has thick outer tubes bolted to the chassis for higher rigidity. This new structure offers more stability under braking, with improved comfort and cornering performance. To accommodate the new front suspension, the upper triple clamp (handlebar crown) has been newly designed, with the rib shapes contributing to the strength–rigidity balance, similar to the M1.
The new YZF-R15 model is also the first small-displacement Yamaha motorcycle with manual transmission to feature Traction Control System, which controls the ignition timing and fuel injection volume to instantly adjust engine power output to avoid excessive slippage. It is also the first Yamaha single-cylinder motorcycle to feature a quick-shifter (standard on the YZF-R15 V4 Racing Blue and YZF-R15M), for smooth, clutchless, upshifts. It activates when speed is at or over 20 km/h, the engine rpm is at or over 2,000rpm, and accelerating.
The 2021 YZF-R15 range is powered by a 155cc, 4-stroke, liquid-cooled, SOHC, 4-valve engine that produces maximum power of 18.4 PS at 10,000rpm, with a torque output of 14.2 Nm at 7,500rpm. The fuel-injected motor with Variable Valve Actuation (VVA) is mated to a 6-speed gearbox.
YZF-R15 V4 – Key Features
- Upside Down Front Fork
- Traction Control System
- Quick Shifter (YZF-R15 V4-Racing blue colour & YZF-R15M)
- Bluetooth connectivity Yamaha Motorcycle Connect
- New LCD instrument cluster inspired by YZF-R1 with Gear shift indicator, and Track & Street Mode
Commenting on the launch, Mr. Motofumi Shitara, Chairman, Yamaha Motor India group of companies said,
“Under the umbrella of ‘The Call of the Blue’ brand campaign, Yamaha has launched unique products & services. Today, I am happy to announce the world premiere of the YZF-R15 V4 in India. This shows the importance of Indian market in our global plans. The YZF-R15 V4 carries the same racing DNA as the YZF-M1 & YZF-R1. The R15 V4 will provide Indian customers with all the latest technology that Yamaha has gained from conducting multiple racing activities. I believe that the all new YZF-R15 V4 and the YZF-R15M will take the thrills of racing to a whole new level & provide greater experience to our R15 fans in India. Yamaha will continue to provide such unique products & services in the Indian market in the future as well.”
For 2021, both the YZF-R15 V4 and YZF-R15M comes loaded with first in class features.
Details of New updates
- Newly designed Trip/Info button positioned on the right handlebar, to toggle between display modes and info shown.
- The new fairing design reduces the coefficient of aerodynamic drag (CdA) from 0.307 on the current model to 0.293.
- Reinforced subframe to tune the chassis’ balance.
- Redesigned Seat for easy weight shifting, good hold and easy ground reach.
Exclusive to YZF-R15M
- A special colour scheme reminiscent of the YZF-R1M
- Carbon-like seat cover material (Rider & Pillion) and embroidered logo on the pillion seat
- Anodized blue fork caps
- Golden colour Brake Calliper
Other common features on the 2021 YZF-R15 range includes an A&S clutch, Bypass type thermostat cooling system, Muffler with 3-stage expansion chamber, Deltabox frame, Linked-type Monocross rear suspension and Dual-Channel ABS.
The YZF-R15 V4 comes in three attractive colours: Racing Blue, Dark Knight, and Metallic Red.
The YZF-R15M gets a Metallic Grey colour reminiscent of the YZF-R1M & Race inspired Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP Edition.
- Elevates the racing quotient further with R15M Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP Edition
- All new Aerodynamic design with Class-D bi-functional LED headlight in line with New global R series
- Gets latest performance features – Traction control, inverted front fork, Quick shifter* (For R15M & Racing Blue)
- Newly designed full LCD Cluster inspired by YZF-R1 & Bluetooth Enabled Yamaha Motorcycle Connect App
- The YZF-R15M gets a special colour scheme reminiscent of the YZF-R1M
You can add more to this story by commenting below.